The Wild Run
Sunday Sept 24, 2023
The Wild Run, formerly the 'Gorilla Run', was established by Calgary runner and primate enthusiast Emm Kytryk in 2004 to raise funds for Mountain Gorillas. Run Calgary took over the event to continue its legacy and conservation efforts in 2015. To date $135,000 dollars have been donated through this race to help preserve habitat of wild animals threatened with extinction.
Event Info −
Each year we feature a different animal at the Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo so we can sneak in a little animal education to this fun family-friendly event. To date, we have featured, learned about and contributed to the habitat conservation of mountain gorillas (2004-2017), pandas (2018), burrowing owls (2019), lemurs (2020), Vancouver Island Marmots (2021), whooping cranes (2022), and this year we will be learning about and raising funds for the hippo! It's time for a hippo-party-mus!
This event starts and finishes on St. Patrick Island and consists of 4 legs, all of which transition on The Rise, our very own party site for The Wild Run. Only 1 leg runs through the Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo, but all participants will gain access to the zoo with your registration.
- Custom gloves featuring our 2023 animal, the Hippo
- Personalized race bib (register before September 13th to guarantee your name on your bib)
- A visit with the zoo animals post-race; your bib gets you a complimentary entry on race day
- Post race celebration in the Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo and an optional breakfast for purchase.
- Chip timed event.
- Opportunity to help support animal conservation, specifically the Hippo
- Fundraising incentives for raising/donating a minimum of $50
- Please note, registration fee does NOT include race day parking.
New for 2023
This year, in an effort to improve our sustainability and conservation efforts, we are introducing an optional finisher's medal. For those that still love to collect medals from races (we see you!) you can add the medal to your cart during registration! Due to medal order timelines, the medal MUST be purchased by August 23, 2023. For those that wish to help create a little less waste, you can choose not to purchase the optional medal.
2022 medal shown below for reference.
Sept 22 Package Pickup: 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Sept 23 Package Pickup: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
September 24 Event Day
Bag Check Opens: 7:00 AM
Solo Race Starts: 7:50 AM
Relay Race Starts: 8:00 AM
Awards in the Zoo: 10:30 AM
Bag Check Closes: 11:30 AM