Event Info −
2022 Citizen of The Year: Jane Wachowich of Youth Centres of Calgary
Run Calgary is committed to more than just fun and The Flapjack 15 will fill you up in more ways than one.
This event gives back to Youth Centres of Calgary and founder Jane Wachowich was named 2022 Citizen of The Year! Congrats Jane and thank you for the work you do to make our community better. Check out the story on CTV Calgary.
Flapjack 15 Supports Youth Centres of Calgary
The Youth Centres of Calgary (YCC) is a grassroots home, an oasis located in a community where many of the children do not have access to safety, healthy role models, sports coaching, music lessons and many more of the developmental influences most Calgary kids have every day. In 'normal times', YCC’s kids aged 9-16 can spend a few wonderful hours of after school time interacting and with others and doing what kids love to do after school. This includes making new friends, gaining wisdom from 'cool' adult volunteers, free access to technology and homework help, music lessons, and access to sports equipment, games and art supplies. They can also get a healthy hot meal before they leave at 6:00pm, ready to take on the challenges of their lives. The aim of the program is to reduce the effects of cyclical poverty and to address the multitude of problems associated with vulnerable youth growing up in Calgary’s tipping point communities. This recent year has been particularly difficult for many families. There has been job loss, unpredictability, mental health concerns, and so much more. Our youth are increasingly affected by these troubling times in their homes and at school. For a year now, the centre has provided over 75,000 healthy meal bags and grocery items at the Ogden youth centre, and at various pop-up sites in Forest Lawn/Forest Heights, Bowness, Penbrooke, Radisson Heights, Dover, Shaganappi, Applewood, Pineridge, and Abbeydale.
Here’s how your donations make a difference:
$25 donation provides a wholesome bagged lunch for 6 kids
$75 donation covers the cost of fresh produce for a week at one of our 10 pop-up sites
$150 donation covers the cost of eggs and milk for a month at one of our 10 pop-up sites
$250 donation provides a nutritious breakfast for 80 kids during our free outdoor summer program
$500 donation covers the cost of fresh produce and groceries for two weeks at two of our pop-up sites
- A Run Calgary "western shirt” (fully sublimated short-sleeve technical shirt - see the mock up below)
- Western-themed race bib
- A cowpoke-approved finisher’s medal that is wearable as a lapel pin (*2021 medal is shown for reference)
- 10 chances to win additional swag throughout the race window
- Personalized virtual finisher's certificate and digital badges upon completion
- A Run Calgary curated Calgary Stampede Spotify playlist
- Access to the Race Roster Leaderboard to see how your finish time compare against other cowfolks
- The option to track your virtual race on RunKeeper - your finishing time will automatically connect to the leaderboard - plus be sure to turn on audio cues to help get you all-fired up on your run
- The opportunity to raise funds for Calgary's vulnerable families through the Youth Centres of Calgary (YCC)
- Extra goodies for those who choose to receive their package by curbside pickup.
July 6 10:00 a.m. MDT - OPEN for Curbside Pick Up at Run Calgary HQ
July 6 4:00 p.m. MDT - Curbside Pick up CLOSES
July 7 12:00 p.m. MDT - OPEN for Curbside Pick Up at Run Calgary HQ
July 7 7:00 p.m. MDT - CLOSES Curbside Pick Up
July 8 12:00 p.m. MDT - OPEN for Curbside Pick Up at Run Calgary HQ
July 8 4:00 p.m. MDT - CLOSES Curbside Pick Up
July 8 12:01 a.m. MDT - Race Window and Leaderboard Opens
July 17 11:59 p.m. MDT - Race Window Closes
July 20 12:00 p.m. MDT - Leaderboard Closes
July 25 12:00 p.m. MDT - Fundraising Closes